Wednesday, January 13, 2016

How Much Dye to Mix Silk Painting Flags

Before I can start a large project I have to mix all my colors first. This is how I do it with Jacquard Silk Dyes when painting with silk hobotai 8mm.

For every 60" x 36" of fabric I use about 1/2 cup (4oz) of silk dyes.

For Example: This design that will use Purple, Yellow and Gray
 (Water will create the lighter or white areas, no need to mix this)

Squidy Flag 35" x 56" Painted with Jacquard Silk Dyes & Steam Set

Looking at the design
estimate how much space
each color uses:

Purple 1/2 space = 2 oz
Yellow 1/2 Space = 2 oz
Gray 1/4 of space = 1 oz





When I have a large project of flags, having all the dyes mixed before painting is necessary to keep each flag uniform with the set. It is difficult to match colors when mixing them, so make sure to over estimate just in case.

Once I have figured out how much dye I need I will multiply this number by how many silks I will be painting.

Just for fun lets say I need 10 flags this means I will need to mix:
For Purple and Yellow 2 oz x 10 = 20 oz

Purple:  20 oz
Yellow: 20 oz
Gray:    10 oz

Leave a comment below if you found this useful or if you have any questions, I am happy to share the few things I have learned over the years painting flags for guards.


No comments:

Post a Comment